Rutte Clinches NATO Top Job After Romanian Leader Drops Bid

  • Dutch leader to take post at critical moment in the alliance
  • Hungary, Slovakia’s backing this week cleared final hurdles
Mark Rutte

Photographer: Sean Gallup/Getty Images

Lock
This article is for subscribers only.

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte secured the unanimous support of NATO members to become the next head of the military alliance after Romanian President Klaus Iohannis said he was withdrawing as the only other candidate still in the running.

Iohannis said he had flagged to allies last week that he would drop out, according to a presidential statement published on Thursday, which also said that the Black Sea nation now supported the outgoing Dutch leader to helm the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.